Posted on May 17, 2018
We spent some time last week at MexiLogfest in La Saladita, Mexico with our newest Howler Ambassador Tegan Gainan. MexiLogfest in an annual pilgrimage, longboard “competition” and all around good time. Although we have been close friends and adventurers with Tegan for some time now, we wanted to go on the record with him over a few drinks to see what makes him tick. Here’s what we know.
- Arm Wrestling? Several years ago? Definitely not. But the real estate game has him sitting at a desk a lot lately so I think I might have a chance now.
- Rubber raft paddling race? Kam is a paddle machine so he'd take the win on this one.
- Double Dutch? Oh yeah, no question about it.
- Bumper Boats? Absolutely. I don't even think he know's they're equipped with squirt guns.
Posted on May 15, 2018
The Summer is coming on fast and it’s almost time to set our new Privateers, Austin Stapleton and Dawson Leake, out into the wild yonder to roam the US of A in the Howler Van visiting retailers, spreading the word of Howler and having a good old time.
In case you bump into them out on the road, we thought you might want to know a bit about them. Well, they both hail from the Volunteer State of Tennessee, love mixing it up in the outdoors and they are each handy with a camera.
Join us in welcoming Dawson and Austin to the squad and make sure to follow their adventures on Instagram @howlerprivateer all Summer long. Check out their submission video below to see these lads in action.
Posted on May 10, 2018
Posted on April 2, 2018
To celebrate the Howler x Helms Workshop collaboration, we're throwing a party at Austin Beerworks on Friday, April 6, 2018, 4PM - 8PM, including commemorative cans, free hats, Fort Lonesome, Howler and Helms crew, exclusive gear, food, and...FREE BEER. Who's in?
- The party is at Austin Beerworks right after the conclusion of the standard, normal persons work week (4PM - 8PM). This means a full supply of delicious brew made right in the ATX to ease you into the weekend.
- We have SPECIAL COMMEMORATIVE CANS of Austin Beerworks brew with some crazy coral snake graphics from the Howler x Helms Workshop collaboration.
- The first 100 people coming thru the door get a FREE Howler x Helms Workshop hat. So, come early.
- We will be revealing a limited supply of Howler x Helms Workshop jackets chain stitched by the fine folks at Fort Lonesome.
- What? Yes. You read #4 correctly. Custom Fort Lonesome chain stitching work will be available at the party.
- Many of the Howler crew of employees and ambassadors and the Helms Workshop gang, including the handsome and eligible, will be present.
- We will have Howler x Helms Workshop merchandise on display and available for purchase.
- A Food Truck to keep your energy high, and
- FREE BEER!!
Posted on March 30, 2018
Back in the late 00’s, when our founders were scratching and clawing around trying to form Howler Brothers, they reached out to Austin designer Christian Helms for some assistance. They knew Christian from his ubiquitous work around Austin and his amazing rock poster art for the likes of Wilco, Modest Mouse and many others. Over lazy beers in the back of Frank, an Austin purveyor of tubular meats like bratwurst and hot dogs, the trio brainstormed the ins and outs of Howler’s identity. After a few weeks, and a few dozen more brews, our now-iconic Howler Brothers monkey logo emerged and became, literally, the face of the brand.
After 8+ years, we thought it was time to put together another creative collaboration with Christian and the design beast at Helms Workshop. Literally, “Old Friends, New Horizons”. So, the Helms crew went to work and came back with some amazing designs based on our native flora and fauna here in Texas - the coral snake, yellow rose, Indian paintbrush and the Scissortailed Flycatcher (aka the Texas Bird of Paradise). We threw these designs on some of our favorite from the Howler line including an all over print H Bar B and, of course, a Gaucho Snapshirt.
Posted on March 22, 2018
FFFTATX is a one of a kind experience. Each year fishy folk of all ages gather at premieres to soak up films from around the world, spin a few yarns among friends and dream about casts still unmade.
2018 marks The F3T’s 12th annual adventure. This year’s lineup of films is our finest yet. Check out the trailers here!
The first 500 in the door receive a custom FFFTATX Howler Brothers Hat. Come early, enjoy the bar and free food provided by Taco Deli.
Get your tickets now before they are gone!
Posted on March 8, 2018
Since we call Austin home, we often get asked about South by Southwest. What to do? Where to stay? Where to eat? For many Austin folks, their instinctive answer is “get out of town” or “run for your life” since SXSW brings throngs of people and layers upon layers of additional traffic to our already-clogged transportation arteries.
Here at Howler, we aren’t so cynical about SXSW and think there is a way to dip your toe in the action without losing your mind. We thought we’d help you out a bit and give you our two cents on how to gracefully enjoy the week. If you want more or want a personalized itinerary, just swing by the shop while you’re in town. Hell, we might even take you out for a brew.
Read below for the insight...
Out of the way / real Austin bar Donn’s DepotThis is the go-to spot for the Howler crew. Donn’s is a baffling configuration of old train cars that is part honky tonk, part dancehall and part retro lounge. You’ll find the UT crowd right next to the bearded Americana set right next to an 80+ year old wearing a cowboy hat and shirt that says “Chick Magnet”. You’ll see some impressive dancing if you are there at the right time, like Wednesday nights when Frank & the Honky Tonk Doctors roll through the country standards.
What to wear - Gaucho Snapshirt of your choice. Some kind of pants. Boots.
Out of the way BBQ Sam’sMost of the hype about some of Austin’s most famous BBQ is real. Places like Franklin BBQ are damn good. But, when you don't have the time or the patience to line up 5 hours in advance to get a meal, you have to find an alternative. We recommend Sam’s. To say Sam’s is off the beaten path is an understatement. Nestled in a shack in East Austin, Sam’s feels classic with all your Texas fixings like white bread, pickles and a jug of red Kool Aid. Their slogan is “You Don’t Need Teeth to Eat our Beef” for a reason. Rumor has it, the late proprietor was an honorary pallbearer in Stevie Ray Vaughan’s funeral. Open late.
What to wear - Howler Classic T of your choice. HB Scout Snapback. Air Jordans.
Out of the way Mexican by day Cisco’sCisco’s isn't exactly out of the way since it’s down in the mires of 6th street. Ordinarily, we recommend you avoid this area altogether during SXSW but since Cisco’s only stays open till 2:30, we think you’re safe. Daylight hours are your safest bet for 6th especially if you are going for some of Cisco’s renowned breakfast tacos and migas.
What to wear - Crockett Polo. Jeans. Howler X Smith Optics Founder Sunglasses.
Essential Mexican Maudie’s
Maudie’s is hardly a secret. It will likely be packed when you try to go. But, trust us, you can miss your buddy’s bands showcase for Maudie’s classic tex-mex. The margaritas kill but don't be afraid to step out and get a fully “dressed” Pacifico or a Michelada.
What to wear - Guayabera Fantastica. Cornerstone Cord Shorts. Howler x Chaco Flip flops.
Best Record Store That’s Not Waterloo End of an EarWaterloo is awesome and we ain’t dissing it. It’s just that the SXSW crowd and all the attendant posturing invades it’s normally comfy confines in a big way. So, we recommend sliding out to End of an Ear during SXSW week. You can still go heavy and deep at End of an Ear and find some diamonds you won’t find in your hometown.
What to wear - Mansfield Shirt Dobby. Frontside 5 Pocket Pants. Pick up an End of an Ear hat while you’re there.
Best place to pick up something for those you left behind Howler Brothers World HeadquartersCome by our little shop in Clarksville neighborhood, meet the crew and carry home an array of Howler gear including some stuff you can’t get anywhere else like Howler HQ t-shirts, books and even some surfboards. We’d love to meet you. And we have free beer and a fine collection of records.
And check out our SXSW playlist
Posted on March 8, 2018
Howler Ambassador Patrick Duke is no stranger to traveling the world in search of elusive species and good times. He recently returned from the famed Palometa Club in Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula with a trove of images that will leave you yearning for your next adventure. Enjoy.
Posted on February 28, 2018
So, why don’t you and a buddy throw your hat in the ring to become Howler Privateers for 2018? Trust us (and our Privateer alumni), this is the best Summer gig ever. It will take you coast to coast, let you fish, swim, surf, hang out with friends new and old, shoot photos and video and fly your Howler flag high. You’ll get to spend some time at Howler HQ in Austin, TX and then set sail in our deluxe Howler van visiting our retailers, running pop-up shops, assisting at trade shows and heeding the call at various ports of call. You’ll get paid (a little), learn (a lot) and meet wonderful new friends along the way. Half of it is work but you won’t notice because it will all be fun and an adventure.
Think this is for you? Want to know more? Then, consider these points below:
- We are looking for two creative people. Applicants MUST apply in pairs, know each other and have a history of getting along while spending time together in small spaces like vans and hotel rooms.
- Both applicants must have a valid driver’s license with a strong driving record and background. We are going to run all of these screens so please consider this before jumping in. Both applicants must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age by June 1, 2018.
- You must be available and free to travel from June 5 – August 15. We know everyone has things going on so we will do our best to accommodate your trip back home to go to Cousin Lanny’s third wedding. BUT, generally, you must commit for this entire time period.
- We want self-starters and hard workers. You will not always have someone from Howler accompanying you, getting you out of bed and giving you instruction. You will often be in charge of moving from place to place, creating your own agenda and generating creative content from your adventures.
- People who are creative, handy with cameras and video cameras and that are generally savvy on things like Go-Pro cameras, video editing, social media and the written word are STRONGLY preferred. We also like capable people who can do things like tie knots, change tires, sketch, hang banners, "MacGyver stuff", and get barreled.
Posted on February 13, 2018
We recently took our Spring 2018 collection and a whole bunch of friends down to Abaco, Bahamas. We found beautiful water, beautiful people and many days filled with lobster diving, blue hole finding, bonefish chasing and wave discovering. Come along for the journey.